Vulnerable Residents Helpline

01983 823600

Seven days a week, 9am to 5pm

Benefits & Money

Citizens Advice

Citizens Advice IW can help with issues around money, benefits and employment

  • Advice Line is 03444 111 444please be prepared to leave a message and you will get a call back.
  • You can chat onlinebut please bear with us as this service is inundated with contacts at the moment
  • You can leave an enquiry on a webform
  • Consumer Advice is on 0808 223 1133
  • Help to Claim (Universal Credit) 0800 144 8 444

For advice on Working and Child Tax Credits, Furlough and Self Employed Income Support Scheme (SISS) telephone Citizens Advice Tax Team on 01983 823898 ext 2836 or email


Citizens Advice FAQ

When is Citizens Advice open for enquiries?

The General Advice service is currently working remotely, answering queries through our Adviceline telephone service and through the Isle Help form on the Citizens Advice Isle of Wight webpage.

How do we contact CA?

Please telephone 03444 111 444. Your call will be answered between 9am and 4pm. You can leave a voicemail message by pressing * and then 0. We will contact you by telephone either on the same day, or on the next working day.

You can also use the contact form on the Isle of Wight Citizens Advice website at We will contact you within 2 working days.

You can also use the webchat facility on the national Citizens Advice website at chat online. The webchat facility is open from 10am to 4pm Monday to Friday. Outside of these times and during Bank Holidays, you will be invited to leave an email.

For Consumer Advice (such as event or holiday refunds) please call 0808 223 1133

I have been affected by Corona virus and I need help/ I am self-employed and need help/I have lost my job/ I am in debt or can’t pay my rent or mortgage

Have a look at the local Citizen Advice website for corona virus information


I want to make a claim for Universal Credit

Before you make a claim for Universal Credit it is worth checking that this is the correct benefit for you. Citizens Advice Help to Claim team can advise you if this is the right benefit, and if it is, they can support you through the application process. Call 0800 144 8 444 to talk to a specialist Help to Claim Adviser. You can also chat to them through webchat

The Department for Works and Pensions (DWP) who process the UC claim are currently experiencing a large volume of applications and calls.  You are advised to call them only to book your initial telephone appointment. Online applications are being monitored and the Job Centre is calling anyone who has not booked a telephone appointment.

UC claims will start from the date the claim is made and is not reliant on identification being verified by a telephone appointment.

I have no money to buy food

Apply for help through crisis at or phone 01983 832859 during normal working hours

    Footprint Trust

    Energy matters and self-isolation

    The Footprint Trust will be continuing to offer help via the phone helpline on 822282

    Prepayment Meters

    If you have a prepayment meter that doesn’t have the ability to be topped up remotely, there are steps we advise you to take should you feel unwell or need to self-isolate.

    To make sure your energy supply isn’t affected

    • Consider topping up your meter with more than your normal amount.
    • Talk to friends, family and neighbours who live close to you as they might be able to top up your key or card for you
    • If your meter is outside of your home, consider leaving your meter box unlocked if it’s safe to do so, so that a friend, family member or neighbour can access it and top up for you
    • Ask your energy company for a Smart Prepayment meter, you can then top up your meters credit via the energy company’s app, or online
    • Consider paying for your energy directly from your bank account, you may also get a cheaper deal

    Priority Service Register

    The Trust urges anyone who is over 60 years old or has a medical condition to register on the free Priority Service Register, with their energy and water companies. This ensures vulnerable people are prioritised in the event of water or electricity outage.

    This can be done online or by phone 0800 294 3259 or Text 0800 316 5457

    For more guidance contact the Footprint Trust by email or by phone 01983 822282. The Trust’s office will have reduced staffing levels so please be prepared to leave a message and we will call you back.

    Information and useful tips will be put on their website  and their Facebook page

    News & Updates

    Bembridge Update

    Support with getting out and about Holy Trinity Church is co-ordinating a group of volunteers from the village to help anyone who has been Shielding and would like a bit of extra support going out and about for the first time For more information, call the Support...